Friday, August 8, 2008

Whack It!

by sam z

I was listening to the radio on my way to work one morning. I was searching for a nice radio station to tune into and then I decided to finally settle with Chico and Delamar's program on RX. If you're familiar with their show, you'll probably know about their Top 10 lists - that day's topic: Top 10 Euphemisms.

Chico and Delamar were going through the entries and one entry was about percussive maintenance. Say what?! Percussive Maintenance, according to the texter, is the action that one person does when he or she whacks a malfunctioning electronic device in order for it to work. Cool!

Given the definition, I guess we're all guilty of being the "percussive maintenance guy or girl". I bet that there was at least one time in your life that you did whack an electronic thing just to make it work again - it could be the TV with a bad reception or your video game console (i.e. family computer, nintendo 64, sega + game cartridges). I remember that when I was a kid, we would "tap" the game cartridges and blow on it just to make it work (just like a wind instrument). I don't know who started with that idea but it kinda worked right? I know that you guys did that too! Then again, you're still probably doing some percussive maintenance work on your gadgets. ;p

Hmmm...if you think about it, making electronic things work properly does not involve rocket science. In order to make these gadgets work, you must have the ability of someone who's a member of the orchestra because you need "whack" and lung power to make things operate smoothly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a friend and i agreed that "Percussive Maintenance" is starting to be a thing of the past. sige nga, try mong pukpukin ang flat screen nyo sa bahay. tignan natin kung hindi mag-pixelize yun :P