Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Last Basketball Game

by Pat Balo

I started playing one-on-one basketball with my dad at the age of 8. We must have played roughly around 500 games all in all.

But this isn’t about the first 499 games we played. This is about the last basketball game we played as father and son.

But first, a brief background. My dad was a good basketball player. Good enough to win a high school championship and earn a FEATI engineering degree on a basketball scholarship. Good enough to get 3 MVP awards from various commercial leagues and get a front tooth knocked out by a younger Robert Jaworski.

But by the time I turned 15, he was 46 years old, an ageing basketball star slowly fading away while I was a rising starter for a championship volleyball team. It was age and experience versus youth and energy…and up to this point, age and experience had always won out.

But this game was different. Right from the very start, it was obvious that things weren’t what they used to be. My father tried lofting layups over my head and I swatted them away. He tried driving on me and I was there, blocking his path to the hoop. I blazed past him for easy lay ups and grabbed my every miss for second and third and even fourth chance points.

Finally, on match point, leading by more than 5 on a race to 11 game, I drove once again for the win. As I soared up, I caught a glimpse of sadness on my dad’s face.

My dad hugged me and congratulated me on my first ever win against him.

And we never played basketball ever again.

No comments: