Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Love at first sight

by Peachy

It was in Pandacan, Manila at this century-old house when it happened. I caught a glimpse of it and I was drawn. It just happened. I was in love with a clock.

Smitten, I stared with my mouth agape. I had to meet the owner. I told the lady how much I loved her clock, gushing about its beauty and the intricacy of its workmanship. But in the same breath I apologized. I had decided right there and then that I was going to be un-Asian and ask her the unthinkable-- was she willing to sell the clock? She smiled at me. She said she understood why I was mesmerized. So many others have admired it the same way I did. I asked for her number and I gave her mine, just in case.

The finer details:
  

A week passed and I still couldn’t forget the clock. Finally, I called her up. I had to. And good thing I did. She said she will sell to me and only me because I was the only one bold enough to ask her. I was buying but only if I could afford it. Thank God the price was right or this would have been a story of a love lost.

And now the beauty is in my office looking as if it was always meant to be there.

No comments: