Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Passion

by Monica

As defined in the dictionary:
Passion [pash-uhn] (N) - a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything

When I was in high school, I came across this word. I was amused by it’s meaning primarily because I wanted to experience the feeling. I mean, who wouldn’t want to experience a strong desire for something? A desire, which pushes you to do things you can only imagine yourself doing? So being the curious girl that I was, I asked myself: What is my passion? I thought of activities, which I can associate with passion. Passion for eating (that explains my chubby cheeks)? Passion for talking (I was always reprimanded by my teachers because of this.)? I settled for that definition in my mind as I thought of passion as something I want and enjoy doing.

Years passed by until I entered college. Come my second year, I auditioned for our department’s dance group. It was basically for fun. Just for the heck of it. All of my friends in college were part of organizations, hell I should be a part of one too!

I never expected anything from this. However, the unexpected happened. Before our performance, as I stood in the backstage of my first ever hiphop dance competition, I felt something heavy in the pits of my stomach. I felt like I wanted to blow (eeeewwww! I know.). I couldn’t understand what I was feeling. I wanted to faint and jump at the same time. I wanted to cry and laugh at the same time. I was shaking all over then something occurred to me. It was shouting at me! The heavy feeling, the fainting and jumping struggle, crying and laughing at the same time, was my passion for dancing which wanted to burst out of me.

As I danced my heart out on the stage, I felt as if one of my childhood questions were answered.

Finally, I found my passion.

No comments: