Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Struck

by Michelle

It was a dark and stormy night. No, really---a dark and stormy night.
I was home with my dog watching TV.

KA-BLAM!

There was a blinding flash and everything went dark. I heard glass breaking. My dog ran from where he had been watching the storm through the living room window and hid, shivering, under the bed.

I heard shouts coming from the street, so with the trembling mass of fur that was my dog beside me, I ventured out.

Lightning had struck the electric pole right beside our gate. the transformer had exploded and the streetlight shattered, so there was glass all over.

That night we drove to my mom’s house where we spent the next two weeks while the electric company inspected and repaired the damage. Turns out all the wiring in the entire house had fused together from the lightning strike, and even the concrete had cracked from the force.

But not all was lost. After a short stint at a neighborhood repair shop,
my little 4 year old, 14-inch TV was still running.

And now, 8 years later, it still is.

No comments: