Thursday, August 7, 2008

Joining the Pod

by Marlon

I never wanted an iPod but Lara introduced me to Eva Cassidy and I really wanted to listen to "Over The Rainbow" over and over and over again. I do that every morning at home, but I want to listen to Eva wherever, whenever . The problem is, I never liked "earphone" music. It isolates the user while invading him at the same time. Come to think of it, I never really liked listening to music constantly. I do like some songs, like Eva's, so I was going to buy an MP3 player. My office mates nearly stoned me to death.

"You're the Chief Creative Officer, you should get an iPod."

"Hindi bagay sa status mo."
("It does not befit your status.")

"I won't travel with you if you're using an MP3. Get an iPod."

Snobs! They don't understand why I own a Xenon DVD player, and it's only P2,900. I can buy a bottle of bubbly for P5,000 but not a DVD player for the same amount of money! My mind works that way, I'm Michael Dell. An iPod Mini is around P15,000! Way too much. I own a sunflower iMac and a Titanium Powerbook but that's a different story.

To test my decision I called Ricky V. and asked if I will still be his friend after I buy an MP3 player.

"Kaibigan ka pa rin namin, pero may konting awa."
("You'll still be our friend but we'll pity you a little.")

"Ouch!"

But I never read manuals of things nor heeded the warnings attached to pillows, so I snuck out of the office and went to CDR King in Greenbelt One. They have this BenQ MP3 player worth P1,990. Winner na sana but it's out of stock. I went back to the office and talked to the I.T. guys.

"Call our Mac supplier and ask if they have a Mini iPod. I want one now."

I got the usual supplier answer, they have it BUT will take three days to deliver. ASUS! I'm sure they don't have it on stock! Back to an MP3. After work I went to Automatic Center in Greenbelt One.

"Ms. saan ang mga MP3 players?"
("Ms, where are the MP3 players?")

There were very few MP3 players to choose from and in the same shelf were three boxes: a Mini, a 20G iPod and a 40G iPod. The iPods were way too expensive unlike the AIPTEK 256MB MP3 S-I! It's white and it has an alarm clock. I reasoned, I can say that I bought a thumb drive for transferring files. Oh and by the way, it plays music too. Neat no? I sent this rationalization as a text message to Judith and Ricky hoping to get some support. Meanwhile, a motherly saleslady came to assist my journey. Edith, that's the salesmother's name, opened the AIPTEK box. Hmmmmm. It's very light, like holding the door handle of an Isuzu Amazora van. Hmmmm. What's with the red band around the sides? Hmmmm. If it had a stem out on one side it looks like it can take my temperature when I'm sick.

"Where's the manual ho?"

For the first time in my life, I was unhappy to see a small and thin manual. I read all the english words in three minutes but I can't find the part where it says "Hi, I am AIPTEK, stick me to your Mac, I speak Apple-lesse." Panic! I called Ricky V. He was online so he searched for reviews.

"I only own an AIPTEK because my girlfriend gave it to me. Otherwise I will never buy such rubbish."

"Patay!"
("Drat!")

It didn't escape Edith that my eyes strayed back to the iPods on the shelf.

"Pwede mong hulugan ang iPod kung gusto mo. May BPI card ka naman siguro."
("You can pay the iPod on installment. I'm sure you have a BPI card.")

Installment? She took her calculator out and stated punching.

"Kung twelve months sa iPod 20G, mga one eight a month. Gusto mo ng 18 months?"
("On a twelve-month spread for an iPod 20G, you will pay P1,800 a month. Do you want to do it for 18 months?)

Self pity was skipping between ropes of madness and laughter.

" After twelve months may interest na mga P3,000, siguro naman kaya mo na yan, may bonus ka naman siguro."
("After twelve months the interest will be P3,000, I'm sure you can manage, i bet you have a bonus.")

Self pity was doing cartwheels. I bought the iPod. She took my card and the iPod 20G. When everything was done, she handed me my new iPod.

"O, 'wag mo lang ipang-reregalo."
("Hey, don't just give it away as a gift.")


I named my iPod after Edith.

No comments: