Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Euthanasia

by camcb4

Years ago, I lived in sin with my (ex) boyfriend, together with my dog and four cats. Being a freelance writer then, I was home most of the time while my ex went to work every day. One evening, my ex came home and told me about a grisly sight he saw on the pavement right outside our apartment. After hearing his story, I quickly took my dog’s towel and went outside. What I saw broke my heart. On the pavement laid a puppy with half of his snout hacked off.
He was barely alive and a putrid smell was coming out of his hacked-off snout. Tiny critters had begun to fester there too. I wrapped him with the towel and asked my ex to accompany me to the vet to have the puppy put down. He refused.

Luckily, my landlady came by and offered me a ride to the vet. There, I laid the dying puppy on the cold metal surface of the examination table and sang a lullaby to him as he slowly (and painlessly, I hope) drifted to eternal slumber.

I cried so much that night… it should have been my ex on that table and not the puppy.

No comments: