Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Flowers

by Eric

1. My bestest girl friend, Jing, used to send me flowers on my birthday. It didn't matter where she was in the world, she'd never forget to ask someone from here to get flowers for me.

2. She'd also call me up every now and then. Most often it was to tell me some great news about her work and lovelife. Other times she just needed someone to talk to. Serendipitously those times I also needed someone to talk to.

3. The flowers stopped coming and the calls started coming less frequently around three years ago. That's when she met a Turkish guy named David in New York, where she'd been living the past five years.

4. Jing and David got married last Saturday here in Manila.

5. I was candle sponsor during the (non-Catholic) ceremony. It was short and sweet.

6. The reception program was fun. I emceed it.

7. Many sweet love songs were sung throughout the affair.

8. Our barkada went home right after dinner. I stayed behind because David, grateful for the "great" hosting job I did, would not let me go right away. I danced with Jing and her sisters.

9. At the end of the night, Jing got David, David got Jing, and I got a box of Authentic Turkish Delight (that's exactly what it says on the box).

10. I took a cab to go home. I put my iPod on and listened to "You Don't Bring Me Flowers". It was raining. And cold.

No comments: