Thursday, August 7, 2008

Let's Get Physical

by Lala

Here's the thing: I've been trying to shed some unwanted baggage and it's finally taking effect! That said, there I was, diligently working my way to 'ideal weight', at 8:17 in the morning doing what I had hoped to be the last 15 minutes (give or take) of my morning run (on the treadmill). When suddenly the belt decides to slow down. Hmmm? So I shift my gaze to the treadmill console to see what was the matter. Machine, in turn, tells me:

CANNOT DETECT WEIGHT
BELT STOPPING

"..."
"..?"
"??!!!"

It then proceeds to give me a 30 second ( or was it 10?) countdown before it completely stops. Slightly annoyed and slowly panicking, I start pressing any button...ALL THE BUTTONS! just so it won't do what it's planning to do. And as I start at the realization that it was totally ignoring me, another thought immediately sinks itself into my conciousness:

"What if…?"
"Could it be that I'm…"

I rapidly turn my head to look behind me, half expecting too see my corpse halfway down the belt and on the floor, with head bobbing up and down, as the belt comes to a halt.

Still here.

Dehydration? Overactive imagination? Or maybe the machine was just complementing me on my success (so far). That said, I'll take whatever complements I can get.

No comments: