Thursday, August 7, 2008

True Lab

by Boots

Finally, I’ve found what I’ve been looking for. An unconditional relationship with no complications, no demands, no emotional outbursts, no protocol – and no heavy educational plan. Something I’ve always envied other people for having. Now I have a -- a Labrador Retriever! What more can you ask for? I can just imagine: The long walks in UP, the travel to the beach, to Baguio, the quiet non-committal moments, me reading while it lay on my feet. The puppy was given by a business supplier of a friend – a little token of gratitude. The little darling arrived last night. When I received the call (“we’re going to have a puppy”), I couldn’t contain the excitement of a puppy owner-to-be: running inside the supermarket in search of the dog food (puppy formula), buying almost 10 cans so it could be fed anytime even when I’m away (I speak as if it were my own); searching for the right bed basket; picking the color of the blanket for the little one to keep warm through its first night home: a cute pink! Had I known of Sofi’s arrival way, way before, (Sofi is the name we decided to give her because of it had an easy, elegant, sophisticated sound to it; but not yet final), I would have gotten the best bed, accessories and studied feeding formulas and everything to make sure that it would feel it was in the best home ever.

What type of milk do you give a puppy? Not just once?
What if it cries incessantly at night?
But more importantly, what if the administration finds out we have a dog? (It is forbidden in our place. There are other things worthy of being forbidden than a little, cute, furry, puppy.)
I don’t think I can bear having this little dog taken away.

This must be Lab. = ) Sorry na ha.

PS. I can’t wait for the 10 signs of good nutrition!

No comments: