Thursday, August 7, 2008

Disney’s Dirty Little Secret

by Migs

I was 10 when I took my first trip to Disneyland. And, it was everything I imagined it to be – the exploding fountains, dizzying rides, grand parades around every street corner, a lot of white folks and the song It’s A Small World following me everywhere I go.

In front of Sleeping Beauty’s castle, we were getting in line to pose with our favorite Disney characters (who were, back then, literally larger than life). When our turn came I ran straight to Mickey Mouse. My uncle who pushed Minnie aside took his place beside me.

Somehow, amidst the frenzy of snapshots and a huge white hand smothering my face, I overheard my uncle complaining:

“Bilis na, ang init!” (Hurry up, it’s hot!)

With Mickey quick to reply, “Oo nga, eh!” (It sure is!)

I couldn’t believe my own ears.

My uncle who apparently heard this as well looked at the big furry mascot and asked:

“You in there, are you Filipino?”

And a muffled voice from inside the mouse’s head replied, “Oo, sir.” (Yes, sir.)

At 10 years old, this experience taught me one thing. It is a small world after all.

No comments: