Thursday, August 7, 2008

"I Like My Long Legged!"

by Boots

Marlon was asking about ghost stories so here’s one. I always enjoy a good ghost story. Probably read every book that Jaime Licauco had written about contacting spirits. But this one has nothing to do with a ghost but an elemental. This happened a year ago and during that time we would have a frequent psychic visitor in our family home. This psychic could connect with spirits, elementals and claims to even have a video recorded dwarfs playing under a table.

The psychic gave each of us little things as tokens. To my sister a St. Benedict medallion, blessed by friars and said to be a powerful amulet against evil. To me, he gave a little glass canister, and within it what looked like dry grass – as thin as needles from a pine tree. He claims he got this from a sleeping “tikbalang” (half-man, half-horse elemental). Yeah right? Even if I didn’t believe this. But even with that skepticism, I would not, could not, dare not even open the little sealed glass container containing the remnants of an elemental. So, I just kept it for novelty reasons. A little piece for conversation.

Instructions were given by the psychic: On a small piece of paper, place the name of the person who is causing you pain. Insert in the canister and seal. For 3 days and nights, that person will be tormented by the “tikbalang”. But it should not go beyond 3 nights as the result would be insanity.

No, I couldn’t even wish that on my worst enemy, although I almost did.

I was in still in ABSCBN Publishing that time. One of the magazines was an off-shoot of the popular ghost TV show: “Nginig” (how do I translate that? Shiver?)
The editor and writers were so fascinated with this story that they asked me to bring the little “tikbalang” vial to the office to be shot and for a feature story.

Shoot was done. Feature story written. I didn’t know I was supposed to ask permission from the psychic, and him consequently, to the elemental.
Perhaps that was the reason for a strange nocturnal visitation.
That night I am awakened. What I saw was something to this day I hold in disbelief. Seated on the window sill of my room (3rd floor), is tall shadow. I vaguely remember what it looked like as I was peeping from under a pillow almost aware but not yet believing that this could be “it”. All I remember are the long set of legs that did not stretch to reach the floor but were bent like its size was sufficient for it to sit on the window sill. I was too scared to move and decided the best way to send it away is to negate it. But if it had pulled my blanket, much less neighed I think I would have died in my bed. Needless to say, I survived.

I lost the little canister with the hair of that whatever.
Sometimes, I can’t help but wish it were still in my hands!
(SFX: Evil laughter, clap of thunder).

No comments: