Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Contact Lens

by Lieza

Back when my siblings and I were still young, my mom used to wear contact lenses. She found them so expensive that she gets too disappointed whenever one of it gets lost.

One stormy afternoon, while my mom and dad were waiting for a cab in Taft Avenue, the wind blew and one of my mom’s contact lenses flew (blew-flew-blew-flew…hey it rhymes!). So there was my dad, at the side of the dirty bangketa, irritated that he had to kneel down and feel the wet and muddy ground with his hands and see if my mom’s contact lens was there. My mom decided to let it go, and so they gave up the search…an hour later.

---
When my elder sister was only 5 years old, she saw my mom’s contact lenses and didn’t know what went into her mind that she ate one of it. My mom got mad at her and she never touched her contact lenses again.

Two weeks after that incident, one of my mom’s contact lenses got lost (again). She thought my sister ate it again and yelled, “ILUWA MOOOOO! ISUKA MOOO!” * while holding her mouth. She yelled at her over and over again, as if it would still matter if my sister brought it back.

Our helper approached my mom and said, “Ma’am, ito po ba yun? Tinapon ko po kasi akala ko kaliskis.” **

Until now, my mom still feels so guilty whenever we talk about the chronicles of the missing contact lenses. She wears eyeglasses now by the way.

-------
* Gag it up! Gag it up!
** Ma’am, is this the one you’re looking for? I threw it because I thought it was a fish scale.

No comments: