Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mothers

by Marlon

Mothers 25-45 years old from the broad C and D segments. She does everything in her power to keep her family healthy. Being healthy is not getting sick and not being sick is a primary assurance that everyone is productive. How her children turn out reflects on who she is. I am confronted with broad stroke information come planning time. The information is deepened further with verbatims from one-on-one interviews and consumer journey studies. The math looks good but I worry about the subjects of our calculation.

I always wonder about the internal life of mothers. I'm worried if there's a woman trapped inside the role. When she makes a mental note of unfinished chores does she add all her unfinished dreams, her suspended life. I'm sure a lot of women dream of becoming mothers and I am sure that a lot of mothers have grown perfectly into who they have become. But do some of them feel that they have taken a road far from their imagined selves? Did the joy they feel when they held us for the first time burn all the bridges leading to regret? Up until college, I never saw the woman inside my mother. Then my parents separated. My mother became a stranger. She constantly reassured us that nothing has changed, that we are her children forever. She is not separating from us, only from my father. I didn't believe her, I was hurt. I didn't want change. I didn't want her to change. A few years later, I was suddenly struck by an image of my mother as a young woman. She played the piano. She was not my mother then. She was a woman separate and valid. Since then I wondered about the woman living inside my mother. My mother loves me for sure and I am sure now that the woman inside her loved what she has become. I hope someday I will also meet that woman.

1 comment:

Trina said...

This struck a chord, it's so true. My world has shifted its axis since my son was born.

Leisurely dinner dates with my husband have been replaced by quick drive-throughs so we can get home while our baby is still awake.

From daily Gold's Gym workouts, our exercise regimen now consists of carrying and rocking our 19lb bundle of joy.

My most often visited counters in Rustan's used to be Lancome, Shu Uemura, Laura Mercier and Bobbi Brown... now it's Fisher Price, Lamaze, Tiny Love, V-Tech and Leapfrog.

My monthly magazine stash used to consist of Instyle, O, Marie Claire, Preview and Yummy... now it's Good Housekeeping, Smart parenting and Working Mom.

Our weekly movie night-outs in GB3 have been replaced by catching snippets of DVD movies whenever our baby is asleep.

And 8 hour sleep is all but a wistful memory as our 7 month old angel has not gotten the memo that he's supposed to sleep through the night by this time.

"Me time" is all but gone.

But every time my little Gabby smiles at me like I was the center of his universe, I can say without batting an eyelash that I wouldn't have it any other way :)