Tuesday, August 5, 2008

One Less Baby

by Peachy

My hubby and I were driving my eldest son Mackie to NAIA 2. He was going to Bangkok as part of the Philippine delegation to the ASEAN Schools swim meet and it was his first time to travel abroad without us. Like a typical mom, I had a litany of reminders for him which were mostly cultural do’s and don’ts for his 5-day stay there. My hubby on the other hand, like most dads, was more concerned about the big picture. He didn’t want this life changing experience lost on our teenage son. Still trying to be cool, he started a “when I was your age” thread of conversation with him.

“You’re lucky Mackie.”

“Huh?”

“You get to travel at such a young age.”

“Uhhm. U-huh.”

“When I was your age, I was just at home wanking off my sausage. But you, at 15, you get to fly to Bangkok to represent your country!”

“U-huh. And wank off my sausage.”

I laughed my heart out after hearing that exchange. Despite my boy’s answer, I knew his dad’s point wasn’t lost on him. My eldest boy is no longer a child. It was then that my laughter slowly turned into a wistful smile. I realized that today I lost one baby.

No comments: